We at Christ Church Primary are committed to the environment and try our best to care for our school. It is for this reason we have formed an Eco-Committee made up of pupils, a teacher, a governor and the site manager. We have worked very hard to produce an Eco-code, an audit of the site and an action plan on how we can improve our school and the environment. We have regular meetings to discuss issues and certain year groups have done a lot of work on the environment during their PSHE lessons.
What is an Eco- School?
• Being an eco-school means caring for the whole world environment as well as the school environment:- “Thinking globally - acting locally’’
• An eco-school runs projects which can help the school and local environment.
Why is it necessary?
• We all need to contribute to looking after the environment.
• Everyone doing a small bit eventually adds up to a major difference.
• We need to raise environmental awareness in others.
What we have done!
• We have written an Eco- Code and a class 'promise' to ensure we know our responsibilities.
• We now recycling paper, printer cartridges, phones, stamps, fruit, clothes.
• We have also made other posters for our environment, eg. No smoking and don’t drop litter.
• We have now got a team of eco students to help with this process. School & Community
• The eco members are working towards the ‘eco-schools’ Green Flag Award – we are very close.
• We are developing our school grounds to have a recycling zone from all of our waste products.
• We have an Action Plan and are currently undertaking an audit of the site with the Site Manager.
• We have a section on Eco-Schools on our school web site.
• We are going to include a eco-section, written by the team in our newsletters. What we will be improving in the future!
• We will be collecting fruit waste and waste from the kitchens. This will go into our compost bin. We will also be starting a wormery.
• In the summer we are going to replant our special garden to attract more wildlife. This will include a minibeast area. We are also hoping to have a small allotment.
• We will be having bins in many other different places, eg. the field, so that we can keep the school litter free.